[ovs-discuss] OpenVSwitch and mininet reference controller

Daniel Spiekermann daniel.spiekermann at fernuni-hagen.de
Wed Jul 2 07:36:16 UTC 2014

Hi there,

I am working with ovs and mininet just for a few days, and now I have
some difficulties to unterstand one thing.
I have the "official" mininet VM and locally it works fine. I use
another VM running an OVS-installation. I installed it according to the
INSTALL.Debian instructions. This ovs-installation works locally fine, too.

If I unterstood the documentation correct, the mininet VM has a
reference controller for Openflow installed, so I tried to connect my
OVS with this mininet controller.
On the ovs, I configured a simple bridge called mybridge with some
virtual interfaces on it and connected it to the mininet-controller on
port 6663 via

ovs-vsctl set-controller mybridge tcp:172.23.56.42:6663

So this is the result:
root at ovs:~/openvswitch-2.1.2# ovs-vsctl show
e4b66793-fd68-4d55-9e0b-63f295cd2ce0
     Bridge mybridge
         Controller "tcp:172.23.56.42:6663"
             is_connected: true
         Port "eth0"
             Interface "eth0"
         Port "vport1"
             Interface "vport1"
         Port mybridge
             Interface mybridge
                 type: internal
         Port "vport2"
             Interface "vport2"
     ovs_version: "2.1.2"

Now I want to add some flows into the ovs, but all trials fail.
With
sudo ovs-ofctl show tcp:127.0.0.1:6663
there is no output or result. Not even the prompt is printing, looks
like waiting for a timeout... and I am waiting for a long time...
Same result after firing this command:

mininet at mininet-vm:~$ sudo ovs-ofctl add-flow tcp:127.0.0.1:6663
in_port=1,actions=output:9

I know I am doing something completely wrong, but I don't know, what it is,

Any help ist usefull
Thanks
Daniel