[ovs-discuss] Unable to make Netflow v5 working

Duy Bach Ha bachhaduy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 15:16:09 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm running an experimental mininet network of 6 ovs switches and some
hosts (with ip in 192.168.1.0/24) and try to deploy Netflow on the
switches. The controller I'm using is opendaylight. So for example:

/sudo mn --switch ovsk --controller remote --custom /smile/ncstestmap.py
--topo ncstestmap --arp/
/sh ovs-vsctl -- set Bridge s1 netflow=@nf -- --id=@nf create NetFlow
targets=\"192.168.1.2:5566\" active-timeout=10/

Everything went fine, I can check with ovs-vsctl list NetFlow or list
Bridge and the configuration is there.

My purpose is just to use wireshark to see on (for example) all s1
interfaces the Netflow (cflow in wireshark) packets coming to the
destination. I first try it with ping and then with udp client and
server. All shows up on wireshark. (According to wiki, netflow v5 also
consider ping as a flow). But no netflow report is coming out. In
/var/log/openvswitch/ovs-vswitchd.log, no collector failure or something
like that is showing.

I have tried downgraded to kernel version to 3.11.10 (with headers
installed) and compiled a kernel module for 2.1.2 with gcc 4.7 (which is
the one used to compile 3.11.10 for ubuntu). But the switches just
crashed at the moment it connect to the controller. Sometimes at the
first run after compilation work, it works and the next restart it does not.

/2014-07-26T14:23:31.315Z|00017|daemon(monitor)|WARN|9 crashes: pid 6215
died, killed (Segmentation fault), core dumped, waiting until 10 seconds
since last restart//
//2014-07-26T14:23:41.315Z|00018|daemon(monitor)|ERR|9 crashes: pid 6215
died, killed (Segmentation fault), core dumped, restarting/

I search harder and haven't get any idea what is wrong with my
configuration. So here is my questions:

1 - If the netflow configuration is wrong, please point out for me. Or
if my concept is wrong, please. :)
2 - Do netflow require a kernel module or just user space is enough?
3 - If a kernel module is required, so can you suggest me with the good
version combination between kernel, ovs and gcc?

Best regards,
Duy

--
Bach Ha Duy