[ovs-discuss] Detecting Elephant flow.

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at inmon.com
Mon Jul 28 18:10:04 UTC 2014

One way to detect Elephant flows on OVS is to enable sFlow on OVS. The following article
provides an example of Elephant flow detection and marking using OVS / Mininet:

http://blog.sflow.com/2014/04/mininet-integrated-hybrid-openflow.html

There have been some experiments described using patched versions of OVS to detect
Elephant flows (although I don't believe the patches have been made public yet):

http://blogs.vmware.com/networkvirtualization/2014/02/elephant-flow-mitigation.html
http://etherealmind.com/elephant-detection-virtual-switches-mitigation-hardware/

The sFlow standard is widely supported by data center switch vendors, providing visibility from gateway devices
virtualizing physical servers, and extending visibility from the edge into the physical fabric to provide end-to-end visibility
to support Elephant flow load balancing etc.

Peter