[ovs-discuss] Handling ARP when bridge is up

John Thoe johnthoe at outlook.com
Thu Mar 6 15:31:50 UTC 2014

> Hi
> I did not have a reverse rule, but my ping on the bridge does not show
> duplicates. Can you post your ping and the output of ovs-vsctl show?

I have a machine with IP 192.168.0.2 with the bridge set up connected to eth0. I have assigned IP to that bridge and set up the ARP rule.

ifconfig br0 192.168.0.2 up
ovs-ofctl add-flow br0 arp,action=normal

When I ping this IP from another machine 192.168.0.1 I see these outputs in wireshark on both machines:

Who has 192.168.0.1? Tell 192.168.0.2
192.168.0.1 is at <Mac address>

And such broadcast and reply packets flood the .0.2 machine. Maybe it is the ARP cache timeout??