[ovs-discuss] FW: "lost" counter in the ovs-dpctl

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Tue Mar 11 18:24:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM, Cosmin Marius Caba <cosm at fotonik.dtu.dk>wrote:

> The tc reports 1269476  dropped packets for port s1-eth2, which is
> according to the results I get from the traffic generator.
> I don't understand why the dpctl does not report the same statistics as
> the tc utility, per port?
> The statistics that I get with dpctl are the ones reported through
> Openflow port statistics request and they are not what I expect.

ovs-dpctl is just reporting the statistics from the interface.  You should
see the same numbers if you run "ifconfig -a".  Packets being dropped by tc
are reported there, because that's where they're being dropped--not at the
interface.  If a packet is dropped at the interface itself, then I'd expect
that counter to go up.

--Justin