[ovs-discuss] Immediate reaction to group-mod

Kim, Hyojoon joonk at gatech.edu
Mon Mar 17 09:08:22 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I am testing OVS with OpenFlow v1.3, and having a problem with group table modification. In particular, when I update the group table entry's action set, it seems that the update does not take immediate affect on flow table entries that are pointing to that group table.

For example:
Let's say there is a flow table entry whose action is "group table 10". And the group table entry with id 10 has an action as "output: 1". I generate flows that match the aforementioned flow table entry, so flows start to go out through output port 1.

Now, if I modify the group table entry's action to have "output: 2", those flows should now go out through output port 2 instead of 1 *immediately*, right after I send the group-mod OpenFlow command.

However, it seems that this is not the case. I have to stop the flow, wait until the flow table entry times out, and then re-initiate the flow. Then, the modified group table entry finally seems to take effect.

Is this a known problem, or am I doing something wrong? Any ideas or information will help.

FYI, I am using this particular snapshot in conjunction with Mininet.
http://git.openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openvswitch;a=commit;h=42e4cc97a95f2d16dbee11a041dc74b0f1178f7d

Thanks,
Joon