[ovs-discuss] openvswitch-2.0.1 in debian

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Tue Mar 18 15:20:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Tim Wolf
<timewulf at network-application.de> wrote:
> Thanks for your ideas, I tried them and a few changes based on them.
> The results were a little bit confusing, but in the end I got it working:
>
> 1) I removed all "auto ..." statements for br0, br1, eth0, eth1 - no
> interfaces got up.
> 2) I put the "auto ..." statements back to eth0 and eth1 - all works,
> but at 2nd
>     reboot the bridges again won't come up, no idea why.
> 3) I removed pre-up and post-down from br0 and br1 - br1 works as
> expected, br0 doesn't
>     The only difference I see, is the up-statement in the last line,
> which works on br1.
> 4) I commented this out - both interfaces won't work
> 5) I uncommented this up-statement again and added a new up-statement
>     for default gw on br0 - all works now!

It should not be that complicated. I think "auto" should not be used
because these interfaces are started by Open vSwitch startup script.
If you follow the example as-is in
/usr/share/doc/openvswitch-datapath-source/README.Debian, it should
work as-is. If you want to do
customization, have a look at
/usr/share/openvswitch/scripts/ifupdown.sh. The configuration in
'interfaces' simply call ovs-vsctl in the
background.