[ovs-discuss] coexistence of ofproto-dpif and customized ofproto provider

Wuhongning wuhongning at huawei.com
Wed Mar 19 04:03:23 UTC 2014

From: Ben Pfaff [blp at nicira.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:55 AM
To: Wuhongning
Cc: discuss at openvswitch.org
Subject: Re: [ovs-discuss] coexistence of ofproto-dpif and customized ofproto provider

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 03:52:42AM +0000, Wuhongning wrote:

>> > It's not necessary to recompile or restart.  Just create a bridge with
>> > "datapath_type" set to the name of the correct datapath provider.
>>
>> then where shall I put the newly written ofproto module, and what's
>> the package style of it? (a .so lib, or a standalone process). we want
>> to keep all files in the ovs package distributed without any change,
>> except .ini and .conf files.

> You're talking about actually running newly written code that didn't
> exist before?  I can't imagine how you'd do that without compiling or
> linking.

yes we want to write new code to cope with some new flow capability
of hardware, the new ofproto surely needs to be compiled. but we don't
want to bother the original package, we only want to add something to
a running system. this is the reason why we are considering develop a
forked branch of vswitchd, and let it to run with original vswitchd concurrently.