[ovs-discuss] OVSost rpm worked in OL6.4, but not in 6.5?

Hoot, Joseph joe.hoot at itec.suny.edu
Tue Mar 25 16:38:45 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have been looking to setup a sandbox environment to test out openstack.  In doing so, I found that I really need to understand how Open vSwitch is working first.  So I did the following to get things working using the OL6.4 (essentially red hat compatible kernel 2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64), but am now having issues after upgrading to the latest EL6.5 kernel (2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64).

Here’s what I’ve done:

  1.  install OL6.4 from iso
  2.  Since my goal is to test how VLAN’s can flow through open vSwitch, I’ve set a trunk into my test server
  3.  So I carved off VID 302 on eth0 so I can set an IP and reach my gateway by passing VID 302.
  4.  I followed the openstack.redhat.com quickstart notes to get the YUM repo that fedora uses: `sudo yum install –y http://rdo.fedorapeople.org/rdo-release.rpm`
  5.  I then simply did a `yum install openvswitch` and it grabbed the latest openvswitchrpm from one of those repos (http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/openstack/openstack-havana/epel-6/openvswitch-1.11.0_8ce28d-1.el6ost.x86_64.rpm)
  6.  After that, I reviewed some notes by doing a lot of google searching.  I think I ended up pretty much following this: http://blog.scottlowe.org/2013/02/07/exploring-rhel-ovs-integrations/
  7.  I was able to get everything working and can get in/out of the system using that br-vlan302 fake bridge.
  8.  However, I ran a `yum update` and rebooted of the latest kernel (2.6.32-431.5.1) and, although everything appears to startup properly and I see proper routes and don’t see anything in /var/log/messages, I cannot send traffic in or out.

Does anyone know if there is an issue (or if I need to do something else to allow that version of openvswitch to work with the latest RHEL6.5 kernel?

At the end of this, I have an openvswitch environment with eth0 and eth1 coming into bond0 configured as active-backup and vlan_mode=trunk.  That bond0 connects into a br-bond0 bridge.  I then carve out what some have referred to has “fake bridges?”  I do this so I can set a mgmt IP that sits on a VLAN (for test purposes I randomly picked a VID 302).  And the fake bridge that I used to test with is called br-vlan302 and br-vlan37.   You can see this all below:

[root at os-controller ~]# ovs-vsctl show
5a878f19-b904-477c-a694-4142598c2150
    Bridge "br-bond0"
        Port "br-bond0"
            Interface "br-bond0"
                type: internal
        Port "bond0"
            Interface "eth0"
            Interface "eth1"
        Port "br-vlan37"
            tag: 37
            Interface "br-vlan37"
                type: internal
        Port "br-vlan302"
            tag: 302
            Interface "br-vlan302"
                type: internal
    Bridge "br-bond1"
        Port "br-bond1"
            Interface "br-bond1"
                type: internal
        Port "bond1"
            Interface "eth2"
            Interface "eth3"
    ovs_version: "1.11.0"
[root at os-controller ~]#

I also have the following diagram that represents some of what I setup above (I’m not sure if this graphic will transfer across the list, but we’ll see).
[cid:D7007731-A018-4283-99B3-2F05E2627427]

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph R. Hoot @ SUNY ITEC
Supervising Programmer/Analyst
(w) 716-878-4832 (Office - Service Desk)
(w) 716-878-4863 (Direct - no voicemail)
(c) 716-759-HOOT
joe.hoot at itec.suny.edu
GPG KEY:   7145F633

Managing trade-offs, attempting to reduce risk, instilling trust, and accepting responsibility for the system and networking team at SUNY ITEC.