[ovs-discuss] OVSost rpm worked in OL6.4, but not in 6.5?

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Tue Mar 25 16:47:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Hoot, Joseph <joe.hoot at itec.suny.edu>wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  I have been looking to setup a sandbox environment to test out
> openstack.  In doing so, I found that I really need to understand how Open
> vSwitch is working first.  So I did the following to get things working
> using the OL6.4 (essentially red hat compatible kernel
> 2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64), but am now having issues after upgrading to the
> latest EL6.5 kernel (2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64).
>
> Here's what I've done:
>
>    1. install OL6.4 from iso
>    2. Since my goal is to test how VLAN's can flow through open vSwitch,
>    I've set a trunk into my test server
>    3. So I carved off VID 302 on eth0 so I can set an IP and reach my
>    gateway by passing VID 302.
>    4. I followed the openstack.redhat.com quickstart notes to get the YUM
>    repo that fedora uses: `sudo yum install -y
>    http://rdo.fedorapeople.org/rdo-release.rpm`<http://rdo.fedorapeople.org/rdo-release.rpm>
>    5. I then simply did a `yum install openvswitch` and it grabbed the
>    latest openvswitchrpm from one of those repos (
>    http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/openstack/openstack-havana/epel-6/openvswitch-1.11.0_8ce28d-1.el6ost.x86_64.rpm
>    )
>    6. After that, I reviewed some notes by doing a lot of google
>    searching.  I think I ended up pretty much following this:
>    http://blog.scottlowe.org/2013/02/07/exploring-rhel-ovs-integrations/
>    7. I was able to get everything working and can get in/out of the
>    system using that br-vlan302 fake bridge.
>    8. However, I ran a `yum update` and rebooted of the latest kernel
>    (2.6.32-431.5.1) and, although everything appears to startup properly and I
>    see proper routes and don't see anything in /var/log/messages, I cannot
>    send traffic in or out.
>
> Does anyone know if there is an issue (or if I need to do something else
> to allow that version of openvswitch to work with the latest RHEL6.5 kernel?

You mentioned that things worked fine with 6.4 and not with 6.5. Looking
through your steps, it looks like you installed openvswitch once.
openvswitch has a kernel module and hence is dependent on the kernel. Since
you upgraded your kernel, I am wondering the newer kernel was compatible
with the kernel module that you installed. So I would look at "lsmod | grep
openvswitch" to see whether that exists.