[ovs-discuss] MVRP in OVS

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Mar 27 21:36:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:41:40AM -0700, Howard Tsai wrote:
> One thing I am curious about is the exposure of current VLAN topology from
> ovs-vswitchd.
>
> Currently, ofbundle registers a set of callback functions with MVRP. MVRP
> calls these functions to adjust VLAN membership. I.e., OVSDB doesn't have
> the current VLAN topology declared by MVRP. To compensate, I implemented a
> unixctl cmd "mvrp/show" to show MVRP state.
>
> My questions are:
> 1. Is this the preferred way to expose protocol state? Any
> suggestion/pseudo standard on output formatting?

Is the VLAN topology something that a controller would likely be
interested in?  If so, then I think that exposing it in OVSDB, perhaps
as a column in the Port or Interface table, would be appropriate.  (I
don't know much about MVRP, so I don't know what is correct
conceptually.)

If the VLAN topology goes in the database we probably don't need it via
unixctl.

> 2. It seems that OF-Config should be extended to include MVRP as one of
> OpenFlow Port Feature and VLAN configuration in OpenFlow Port State.  Any
> thought on that?

Do you mean OF-Config or OVSDB?  Open vSwitch doesn't include an
OF-Config implementation.  I think we already covered OVSDB, above.