[ovs-discuss] openvswitch gre tunneling issues

Shiva shivaramakrishnan740 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 15:36:43 UTC 2014

Hello,
I am setting up two gre tunnels between two hosts using the same external bridge.In this case (br1).I use virbr3 and virbr2 for internal communication.

This is my config steps:
Hypervisor 1:
External communication
ovs-vsctl add-br br1
ovs-vsctl add-port eth0
ifconfig br1 p.q.r.s netmask 255.255.255.0

Internal bridge for vm communication
Tunnel1 :

ovs-vsctl add-br virbr3
ovs-vsctl show
ovs-vsctl add-port virbr3 gre2 — set interface gre2 type=gre options:remote_ip:a.b.c.d

Tunnel2:

ovs-vsctl add-br virbr2
ovs-vsctl show
ovs-vsctl add-port virbr2 gre0 — set interface gre0 type=gre options:remote_ip:a.b.c.d

Hypervisor 2:
External communication
ovs-vsctl add-br br1
ovs-vsctl add-port eth0
ifconfig br1 a.b.c.d netmask 255.255.255.0

Internal bridge for vm communication

Tunnel1:

ovs-vsctl add-br virbr3
ovs-vsctl show
ovs-vsctl add-port virbr3 gre2 — set interface gre2 type=gre options:remote_ip:p.q.r.s

Tunnel2:

ovs-vsctl add-br virbr2
ovs-vsctl show
ovs-vsctl add-port virbr3 gre0 — set interface gre0 type=gre options:remote_ip:p.q.r.s

I am not able to communicate outside world from the vm’s.I am just able to reach the host on which vm resides and viceversa.Can you please let me know what am i missing here?

Your help in this regard is greatly appreciated.