[ovs-discuss] Bonded port with VLAN trunks

Martin Matějek martin.matejek at fit.cvut.cz
Mon Mar 31 20:49:16 UTC 2014

Hi list,

I'm trying to set bonding on two physical NIC's with designated VLAN
trunks. So far I haven't found any useful documentation about how to get
into vSwitch, just few scattered blog posts and HOWTO's. I got farthest
by following steps in this blogpost
(http://blog.scottlowe.org/2012/10/19/link-aggregation-and-lacp-with-open-vswitch/)
and
this post
(http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.openvswitch.devel/3057). But
now I'm confused how to achieve bonding with VLAN trunks, although I
feel that I'm missing just few small steps.

So far I tried these steps, but I can't ping anything.

ovs-vsctl add-br ovsbr0
ovs-vsctl add-bond ovsbr0 bond0 enp2s0f0 enp2s0f1 trunks=34,68

ip a a 1.2.3.4/24 dev ovsbr0

(IP address altered)

After a lot of reading I noticed that in every tutorial I found they
either create separate port for each VLAN and assign tag to it or
doesn't bother to assign IP address to bond0 interface, just whole
bridge. Are these trunks property of bond port or whole bridge?

What is the point of assigning VLAN trunks to bond0 if I can create
separate port for each VLAN?

Martin