[ovs-discuss] When a controller is plugged in vlans stop working: normal?

Pasquale Dir phate867 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 21:22:46 UTC 2014

Problem is that for my project I need openvswitches which can be used to
make communicate internal hosts with external ones, if specific events
occur.

So my idea was the following: a generic openvswitch would have been like
-br0
---eth0
---gre0 tag2

If I would have needed to share some resource to the external world I'd
just put an openflow rule on the specific openvswitch telling it to output
specific packets from gre0 port (internal) to the eth0 port (external).

Hosts who attach to an openvswitch throught tagged ports are indeed part of
an internal network so it is just right that they can communicate JUST
between each other by gre tunnels...but if eth0 is connected to the
openvswitch too, these hosts stop communicating.

I though that, as openvswitch is executed as a software process, it would
have used linux network stack anyway to allow gre tunnel
communication...but it seems it doesn't.

It will do it with this configuration:
-bro
---gre0 tag2
-eth0

but it is not ok to me, as I would miss a way to output some internal gre
traffic to eth0, as it isn't connected to the switch and thus I could not
make any openflow rule.