[ovs-discuss] Is it better to specify nw_src?

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 05:21:50 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Jason Thorpe <jasonthorpe1 at outlook.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Ben. while I don't need it yet but would be good to know - is there
> a way to profile flows in OVS (other than the obvious way of just running
> and testing)?

It depends on what you're interested in.  You can of course profile the OVS
kernel module the same way you'd profile any kernel code, but that's
probably only going to offer you micro-optimization opportunities (and make
you sad about the pervasive kernel changes that would be required to do
anything significant).

If, however, you're interested in actual forwarding performance with
varying flows, then running well-designed tests is going to give you far
more useful data for practical deployment purposes.  (And there are a lot
of host configuration tweaks unrelated to OVS - like IRQ affinity - and
host hardware properties - like memory bandwidth - that have considerable
impact on performance).

--
Nick