[ovs-discuss] When a controller is plugged in vlans stop working: normal?

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon May 5 21:00:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 10:56:01PM +0200, Pasquale Dir wrote:
> Yes, that way it works fine, I already tried it...so you confirm me that
> for openvswitch to work I need at least a working external network
> interface?

I don't understand the question.

If you want a computer to interface to an external network, you need a
working external network interface.  This has nothing to do with Open
vSwitch.

If you don't want your computer to interface to an external network,
you don't need a working external network interface.  This also has
nothing to do with Open vSwitch.

Open vSwitch works OK in either situation.