[ovs-discuss] How to keep/update pre-configured flows when connecting to an OVS controller?

Ji Li ricky.li.net at gmail.com
Thu May 8 07:05:41 UTC 2014

Hi Justin,

Thanks a lot for your response! Have some more questions:

> > Actually I find the flows will also be totally deleted after the OVS
> bridge
> > is disconnected from the controller.
>
> That surprises me.  If by disconnected, you mean that the controller is
> still configured but not reachable, then you may be running into behavior
> based on the "fail_mode" described in ovs-vswitchd.conf.db.

Actually I mean the flows will be removed when deleting a controller of an
OVS bridge:
# ovs-vsctl del-controller br0

# ovs-ofctl monitor br0 watch:
NXST_FLOW_MONITOR reply (xid=0x0):
 event=DELETED, reason=delete, table=0 ...

Also get some DELETED events when deleting the controller, all the flows
configured before the 'del-controller' operation will be removed. So are
these DELETE commands also from the controller? I tried both 'secure' and
'standalone' mode of the fail_mode, the old flows will both be removed when
deleting the controller.

> > Another problem is, after the bridge is connected to the OpenDaylight
> > controller, if I add some rules from the OVS host but not remotely from
> the
> > controller, the new flows won't be updated in the OpenDaylight control
> > panel, But the flow is indeed added to the flow database. Is it any
> method
> > to make the controller updates all the flows in the OVS database but not
> > only the rules added from the controller?
>
> OVS supports a flow monitoring extension that will inform the controller
> about flows that are added to it.  A similar mechanism based on OVS's
> extension was added to OpenFlow 1.4 (and an extension to OpenFlow 1.3).
>  You'd need to find out whether OpenDaylight support one of them.

Do I need to make some more extra configuration to enable this monitoring
extension for OVS? If so, how to configure it?

Regards,
Ricky