[ovs-discuss] Deleting port on one bridge changes MAC address of unrelated bridge

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri May 23 21:39:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 05:23:40PM -0400, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 01:15:47PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > How is OVS supposed to tell that you modified it and that the value
> > you gave it should stick?
>
> I am assuming that OVS receives some sort of notification via the
> kernel when the MAC address is updated via 'ip link'.  Am I wrong?
> This is all stuff I'm not familiar with and only stumbled into it
> because things weren't working as expected.

OVS could do that, in normal operation.  But OVS tries to be as
"stateless" as it can be so that it knows what to do if you restart it
(perhaps with an rmmod and insmod of the kernel module, as part of an
upgrade), or if you reboot.  At that point, OVS has to know what MAC
address should go there (in some of those cases it even has to
actually create the device from scratch).  I guess that OVS could
record that you changed the MAC address in its database, but it is not
what we have done historically.