[ovs-discuss] openvswitch hook for openflow vendor extension messages

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu May 29 16:21:52 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:19:52PM -0400, samantha Andares wrote:
> I am still new with everything related to openFlow, its controllers
> and its agents.... but i managed to figure out that i could use a
> controller running OpenDaylight and use a vendor extension within
> the openflow protocol to send some specific information to an
> ovswitch node.  My problem is that i would like the ovswitch to send
> this information (payload) to my application running on the same
> node where the ovswitch is running. Since OpenFlow supports these
> vendor extensions, i believe (and i hope!!!) there should be some
> sort of generic framework to forward these control packets to an
> application (through a message queue.... socket.... ).

Usually one would use a network connection, e.g. a TCP or SSL
connection, to do this.

> Can someone point me to where i can find the information for this
> (can this be achieved by changing some configuration attributes)? I
> would like not to have to modify the ovswitch software, or as little
> as possible.

This is in the FAQ.

Development

Q: How do I implement a new OpenFlow message?

A: Add your new message to "enum ofpraw" and "enum ofptype" in
   lib/ofp-msgs.h, following the existing pattern.  Then recompile and
   fix all of the new warnings, implementing new functionality for the
   new message as needed.  (If you configure with --enable-Werror, as
   described in INSTALL, then it is impossible to miss any warnings.)

   If you need to add an OpenFlow vendor extension message for a
   vendor that doesn't yet have any extension messages, then you will
   also need to edit build-aux/extract-ofp-msgs.