[ovs-discuss] OpenFlow 1.4 Role Status Message

Madhu Challa challa at noironetworks.com
Fri May 30 23:22:00 UTC 2014

I was going through some of the OpenFlow 1.4 items.

OpenFlow 1.4 section 7.4.4 ``Controller Role Status Message''
defines a new message sent by a switch to notify the controller that
its role (whether it is a master or a slave) has changed. OVS should
implement this.

  "When a controller has its role changed by the switch, and not directly
changed by that controller using a OFPT_ROLE_REQUEST message, the
corresponding controller must be informed with a OFPT_ROLE_STATUS message.
The switch may generate OFPT_ROLE_STATUS messages at other times, for
example when experimenter data change, this is outside the scope of this
specification."

Its not clear to me under what scenarios the switch should generate this
message.

/* What changed about the controller role */

enum ofp14_controller_role_reason {

    OFPCRR_MASTER_REQUEST = 0,  /* Another controller asked to be master. */

    OFPCRR_CONFIG         = 1,  /* Configuration changed on the switch. */

    OFPCRR_EXPERIMENTER   = 2,  /* Experimenter data changed. */

};

It appears to me that we already should support OFPCRR_MASTER_REQUEST since
that happens via the OFPT_ROLE_REQUEST message.

When should we be generating CONFIG and EXPERIMENTER ?

Thanks.