[ovs-discuss] ovs 2.3 kernel module build failed on rhel 7.0 GA

Flavio Leitner fbl at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 12:43:19 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 09:28:16AM +0800, Gang U Xu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For why I have to build openvswitch-kmod,
> I think it is from spec under rhel/openvswitch.spec
> Requires: openvswitch-kmod, logrotate, python

Oh, you can comment that out.  The rhel/openvswitch.spec
supposes that the module is provided by an extra package
which can be true in some cases.  I mean, old RHEL-6
versions didn't include that module, so you would have to
build kmod as well.  However, that's not true for RHEL-7 which
provides the module since 0day.

> I read spec from Fedora source rpm
> ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/source/SRPMS/o/openvswitch-2.3.0-2.fc22.src.rpm

> Requires: openssl iproute module-init-tools
> Requires: kernel >= 3.15.0-0
>
> Our product node did not have so high kernel. So we will use
> openvswitch-kmod intead.

That's an upstream kernel version.  For RHEL-7 you can use:
Requires: kernel >= 0:3.10.0-123.2.1

You should be able to use openvswitch with any RHEL-7 kernel, but
versions prior to the above missed one bugfix, so I'd recommend
to use at least that version.

fbl