[ovs-discuss] Matching GTP-U with openvswitch

Dani Camps danicamps81 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 18:42:36 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I am interested in extending Openvswitch to be able to match on GTP-U
fields, typically used in mobile telecom networks. At a high level
what I would like to do is:

1) Have an openflow controller install rules in OVS where the match
portion of the rules includes fields of the GTP-U header. GTP-U runs
over UDP and contains typical tunnel parameters like a tunnel ID or
the endpoint IP address. I am aware that I will need to modify the
Openflow implementation on the controller side as well.

2) I do not need to modify anything on the GTP-U header, so no GTP
support is required regarding Openflow actions.

I would appreciate if anyone can give me a high level orientation on
the best design approach to accomplish the above. For example should I
define the new header parameters in the ofp11_match structure and try
to replicate the code existing to match other parameters (e.g. in
lib/match.c), or is there an established framework in OVS to define
new match types?

Best Regards

Daniel