[ovs-discuss] Problem with deleting ports on a bridge of datapath_type "netdev"

Ferriter, Cian cian.ferriter at intel.com
Wed Nov 5 10:17:35 UTC 2014

I'm trying to delete a "dpdk" type port and add it again.
I start vswitchd with DPDK argumentsand create a bridge with datapath_type "netdev" .

                . /vswitchd/ovs-vswitchd --dpdk -c 0x2 -n 4 --socket-mem 4096,0 -- unix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock --pidfile --log-file -detach

                . /utilities/ovs-vsctl add-br br0 -- set bridge br0 datapath_type=netdev

Then I add a "dpdk" type port, delete it and re-add it.

                . /utilities/ovs-vsctl add-port br0 dpdk0 -- set Interface dpdk0 type=dpdk

                . /utilities/ovs-vsctl del-port br0 dpdk0

                . /utilities/ovs-vsctl add-port br0 dpdk0 -- set Interface dpdk0 type=dpdk

After I add the "dpdk" type port for the second time, I get the following error message:

                ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up 'dpdk0'.  See ovs-vswitchd log for details.

These are the relevant details in the ovs-vswitchd log:

                2014-11-04T18:01:05.917Z|00074|dpdk|ERR|eth dev config error -16
2014-11-04T18:01:05.917Z|00075|bridge|WARN|could not open network device dpdk0 (Device or resource busy)

The "netdev_dpdk_destruct" function in "netdev-dpdk.c" isn't being called and the DPDK device isn't being freed when the port is deleted.
This isn't limited to DPDK ports, it happens for all ports on a userspace bridge.
In the "netdev_unref" function in netdev.c, the "destruct" and "dealloc" functions aren't being hit.
This is possibly caused by "dev->ref_cnt" being incremented too much, or not decremented enough.
Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare