[ovs-discuss] "Replace a OF & OVSDB with a network virtualization specific protocol"

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Sat Nov 8 01:31:04 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Zayats, Michael <michael.zayats at hp.com>
wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> In his April talk at Usenix (
> https://www.usenix.org/sites/default/files/conference/protected-files/nsdi14_slides_koponen.pdf),
>

> Teemu Koponen mentioned a replacement protocol for OF & OVSDB for network
> virtualization.
>

> Is there any further information/specification/implementation of the
> protocol?

Teemu is proposing that there may a application-specific protocol that
speaks down to the hypervisor.  There a daemon understands this other
protocol and acts as a local controller that speaks directly to the vswitch
using OpenFlow and OVSDB.  While there are plenty of fair criticisms of
OpenFlow, it actually turns out to be a pretty good way to model a software
switch, since caching becomes (relatively) straight-forward.

> What does it mean for the roadmap of OVSDB in Open vSwitch?

As I mentioned above, that paper/presentation doesn't assume changes in
OVS, and, in fact, leverages OF and OVSDB.

--Justin