[ovs-discuss] OVSDB list_dbs monitor/update

Zayats, Michael michael.zayats at hp.com
Tue Nov 11 21:57:21 UTC 2014

Disclaimer:
I would like to use OVSDB for a switching related product.
Instead of making extensions, where I lack some of the functionality, I would be glad to invest our resources in
contributing to the general implementation.
If the same desired functionality can be achieved with the current mechanisms and I am just ignorant - that's even better.

Here is the first in the list of extensions I would like to discuss.

OVSDB protocol has the means to retrieve a list of databases being managed by the server.
However, the list might change, using for example add-db/remove-db runtime management command of ovsdb-server.

Would it make sense to add a monitor/update capabilities for the db listing?
Current protocol seems to force periodic polling, with quite a few undesirable side effects on other interactions with the server.

Thanks,

Michael