[ovs-discuss] How can i let the flow entries don't disppear after restart the ovs?

Srini Seetharaman srini.seetharaman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 00:48:39 UTC 2014

I have been helping a DevOps group roll out Open vSwitch for isolating pods
of Docker containers across hosts using VxLAN without using a separate
controller [1]. Although OVS works quite well for their situation, rule
persistence seems to be a problem. We rigged chef scripts to regenerate the
rules on reboots or periodically (so as to restore rules when OVS
segfaulted and restarted).

We believe a cleaner approach will be to preserve some rules within OVSDB
and replay them. That way, we don't need a separate rule maintenance
mechanism and we're not forced to use a controller solution that may be
unnecessarily heavyweight fr this DevOps envrionment.

Would the community be willing to accept a schema for persistent flows (Not
all flows need to be persistent) and a patch that allows archiving and
replaying those rules on startup? Or is there a better approach that folks
can suggest?

Thanks
Srini.

[1] LorisPack toolkit for multi-host Docker networking using OVS:
http://github.com/lorispack/loris