[ovs-discuss] unsubscribe

Gabriel Raffo gabriel.raffo at ericsson.com
Wed Nov 19 13:26:45 UTC 2014

unsubscribe

From: discuss [mailto:discuss-bounces at openvswitch.org] On Behalf Of Yeou Chyuan
Sent: 18 November 2014 14:42
To: discuss at openvswitch.org
Subject: [ovs-discuss] OVS network connecting VMs in ESXi

Hi, I'm a student that is currently doing a project on SDN. I've set up a network using openvswitch to allow communication between VMs and later on use it for VMotion. However, I'm not able to do a ping through the network.
Below is my network setup.

===================                                  ===================                              ====================
=                                    =                                    =                                    =                                =                                     =
=                     VM         =                                    =             OVS               =                                =       VM                       =
=                                    = nic1                     nic2=                                    =nic3             nic4   =                                     =
=                                    = ------------------------  =                                     = ---------------------  =                                     =
=                                    =                                    =                                    =                                =                                     =
=                                    =                                    =                                    =                                =                                     =
=                                    =                                    =                                    =                                =                                     =
        ESXi 1                                                                 ESXi 2                                                             ESXi 3

My current network setup has 3 VMWare ESXi, each with a dedicated network card for management network.
The diagram shown above is using other network cards that is not connecting to any management network.

In ESXi 1, VMs are connected to nic1 which is directly connected to nic2 of ESXi 2. While in ESXi 3, VMs are connected to nic4 which is also directly connected to nic3 of ESXi2.
In ESXi 2, there are few ovs connected together using patch ports (can be any topology).

No IP was set to nic1,2,3 and 4 as all these are supposed to be in layer2. IP was only set to VMs in ESXi 1 and ESXi 3.

Ping traffic from VM in ESXi 1 should move through the network formed using OVS in ESXi2 and then arrive at ESXi 3, but ping wasn't successful.

Anyone can help me to solve this problem?