[ovs-discuss] tunctl tap device attached to openvswitch bridge, why the type changed to system interface

张伟 zhangwqh at 126.com
Fri Nov 21 02:28:02 UTC 2014

I want to clear my problem I met.

I have two physical machines A and B. Each machine I want to create a tap device and vxlan device, configure the flow entries according my requirement. I want to successfully ping the tap device on  machine B from  the tap device on machine A.

However, if I use tunctl -t tap0 to create the tap device and then attach to the openvswitch. When I check the tap device type, it is empty. From the man, the empty means system type. Usually the physical eth has the system type. When I use ovs-vsctl add-port bridge-name device-name -- set Interface device-name type=internal to create the device and attach, it works. From google, internal type actually is the tap device. This is my confused question: why I directly use tunctl to create the tap device and attach to the bridge, my tap device will directly drop the packets.

I have another question:
I want to configure the multipath feature using ovs-ofctl add-flow command line. However, I do not clearly know how to do that. Can you give me some advice? Where I can check and find how to use it? I have checked the man ovs-ofctl and man 5 ovs-vswitchd.conf.db and did not find useful information.