[ovs-discuss] Fwd: how to enable BFD in openvswitch2.1.3

Ravi Chandra ravi.vitu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 23:54:00 UTC 2014

Hi all,

    I tried to do what you were doing and I was successful in enabling a
BFD over two directly connected  ovs-switches.

But, I would like to know if BFD can be enabled over two switches which are
not directly connected but are connected through some intermediate node.

For ex: Let us take this case where we have three nodes (ovs-switches), the
way they are connected and their IP addresses is mentioned below.

N3 --------------------------------------------- N2
----------------------------------------- N1
10.103.0.2/24           10.103.0.5/24    10.103.0.7/24
10.103.0.6/24

Now I would like to create a BFD traffic between N3 and N1.

As discussed previously (where two directly connected nodes were used to
enable BFD.)I tried to create a gre tunnel between N3 and N1 and then
linked their IP as "remote_ip" in each other.

I am able to ping N3 to N1 and vice versa. Also, the ovs-vsctl list
interface is showing that the BFD enable = true but the BFD status shows
that the forwarding="false" and state="down'.

This was not the case when I tried to enable BFD over directly connected
nodes.

Am I missing something? Kindly, help.

Thanks,
Ravi