[ovs-discuss] QoS HTB queue prioritization

Ricardo Santos rrsantos at student.dei.uc.pt
Tue Nov 25 11:12:20 UTC 2014

Hello,

Here's how it appears after I configure the QoS and respective queues in
OVS (queue 2 should be prioritized):

root at sender:~# ovs-vsctl list qos
> _uuid               : 31d09fbf-575b-4002-806c-108c35c575f9
> external_ids        : {}
> other_config        : {}
> queues              : {1=58bf3fad-4a00-4f2a-b49c-cfbee98ae7be,
> 2=d0353556-8faf-4a18-8e4d-609f459fd119}
> type                : linux-htb
>

> root at sender:~# ovs-vsctl list queue
> _uuid               : 58bf3fad-4a00-4f2a-b49c-cfbee98ae7be
> dscp                : []
> external_ids        : {}
> other_config        : {priority="3"}
> _uuid               : d0353556-8faf-4a18-8e4d-609f459fd119
> dscp                : []
> external_ids        : {}
> other_config        : {priority="0"}

And here is how htb is configured with TC:

> root at sender:~# tc qdisc show dev eth1
> qdisc htb 1: root refcnt 2 r2q 10 default 1 direct_packets_stat 0
> direct_qlen 1000
>

> root at sender:~# tc class show dev eth1
> class htb 1:1 parent 1:fffe prio 0 rate 12Kbit ceil 10Gbit burst 1563b
> cburst 1250b
> class htb 1:fffe root rate 10Gbit ceil 10Gbit burst 1250b cburst 1250b
> class htb 1:2 parent 1:fffe prio 3 rate 12Kbit ceil 10Gbit burst 1563b
> cburst 1250b
> class htb 1:3 parent 1:fffe prio 0 rate 12Kbit ceil 10Gbit burst 1563b
> cburst 1250b

And here are 2 flow rules, one assigned to each queue:

>  cookie=0x0, duration=472.532s, table=0, n_packets=1495, n_bytes=382720,
> send_flow_rem priority=30,udp,nw_dst=10.1.2.1,tp_dst=10024
> actions=set_queue:2,output:3
>  cookie=0x0, duration=472.721s, table=0, n_packets=6358, n_bytes=9486136,
> send_flow_rem priority=30,udp,nw_dst=10.1.2.1,tp_dst=10023
> actions=set_queue:1,output:3

I am not familiar with setting up the HTB queue size with Open vSwitch. For
this situation, I guess it is configured to 1000, by the direct_qlen
parameter?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Ricardo Santos