[ovs-discuss] creating a mgmt0 port and not able to ping it?

Scott Lowe scott.lowe at scottlowe.org
Wed Nov 26 18:05:02 UTC 2014

Please see my responses inline, prefixed by [SL].

On Nov 26, 2014, at 9:08 AM, frank weed <zorbustheknight at gmail.com> wrote:

>> - You should not have an IP address assigned to enp0s3, which I'm assuming is the physical interface in this VirtualBox VM. And the link status for this interface is up, yes?
>
> Yes enp0s3 is the physical interface in Vitrualbox.  There is no ip address assign to enp0s3.
>
>> - In addition to assigning an IP address to mgmt0, make sure you actually set the mgmt0 interface to up ("ip link set mgmt0 up", if memory serves correctly).
>
> So would that mean, enp0s3 and ovsbr0 be down?

[SL] No, enp0s3 needs to be up, but without an IP address. ovsbr0 should just be whatever it defaults to (I don't recall having to manipulate/modify ovsbr0 at all.)

>> - Stupid question, I know, but you're sure that the VirtualBox networking configuration isn't getting in the way, right?
>
> Yes, Virtualbox networking configuration is correct.  If reset the configuration to where enp0s3 is the only one up and has an IP then the host is reachable on the network.
>
>> - Using "ovsbr0" instead of "mgmt0" is functionally equivalent, as far as I know. The fact that assigning an IP address to ovsbr0 works but mgmt0 doesn't work leads me to believe the issue is with the configuration/operation of the mgmt0 interface.
>
> So here is sample configured that I used on mgmt0:
>
> ovs-vsctl add-port ovsbr0 mgmt0 -- set interface mgmt0 type=internal
> ip addr add 192.168.0.2/24 broadcast 192.168.0.255 dev enp0s3
> ip route add default via 192.168.0.1
> Should it be different?

[SL] You're adding the IP address to enp0s3. Try modifying your first command to this:

ip addr add 192.168.0.2/24 broadcast 192.168.0.255 dev mgmt0

Then be sure to set the mgmt0 interface to up:

ip link set mgmt0 up

--
Scott