[ovs-discuss] ping over vxlan tunnels not working

Sadia Bashir 11msccssbashir at seecs.edu.pk
Sun Nov 30 08:16:52 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I have to queries:

1. I have created a simple topology with 2 switches and four hosts in
mininet.

Here is the topology:

h1--                    --h3
         s1-------s2
h2--                    --h4

I am using ovs-2.1.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 with 2.1.0 mininet version and want to
create 2 tunnels between h1 and h3 and h2 and h4 respectively. I followed
the link:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/4/html/Installation_and_Configuration_Guide/Configuring_Open_vSwitch_tunnels.html
to create tunnels. I created tunnels manually with commands:
on s1:
ovs-vsctl add-port s1 vxlan1 -- set Interface vxlan1 type=vxlan

on s2:
ovs-vsctl add-port s2  vxlan2 -- set Interface vxlan2 type=vxlan

 but I am unable to ping h3 from h1. What is the possible reason, please
enlighten me.

2. I built ovs-2.1.0 from source and in order to upgrade it to 2.3.0
version I want to remove 2.1.0 from my machine but got no info in README or
INSTALL and INSTALL.debian files. Please guide me regarding steps to remove
ovs-2.1.0 or any helpful link in this respect.

Thanks and Regards,