[ovs-discuss] Problem with mac address learning.

Chris Bennett chris at ceegeebee.com
Fri Oct 3 02:32:32 UTC 2014

Hi Krist,

I started a thread a few days ago with subject:
  LXC, OVS and fdb learning problem

Your symptoms sound very similar to what I'm seeing.  I havn't resolved my
symptoms yet unfortunately :(

I'm running my LXC base & container on top of VMware ESX, and thus my vSwitch
has to be in promiscuous mode.  I'm seeing frames coming in on the uplink port
(equiv to your port 1) with a source mac of that of the LXC container.  That to
me would explain why OVS's fdb shows port id 1 for those mac addresses.

IPv6 multicast packets are what I'm seeing reflected back on the
uplink port.  I've tried disabling multicast system-wide, but the
dynamically created veth interfaces keep coming up with it enabled
despite me having:

  net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
  net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1

enabled in sysctl.

I hope your symptoms are the same as mine and we can both find a solution :)

Regards,