[ovs-discuss] OVS drops all packets on ESX RHEL6.5 VM

Chen Weiwen chenww at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 13 22:59:25 UTC 2014

Dear Pro, I see OVS drops all packet on RHEL 6.5 VM booted from ESX. Here
is the configuration:1)
Created a port group (4095) on the vCenter,
where the ESX host was added to a cluster, and provided the NIC configured
above as an uplink.2)
Booted a VM(which is supposed to be setup as
Management host) with RHEL 6.5 and provided the port group created in Step 1 to
this VM3)
Run vconfig command and it can ping gateway:a.
# vconfig add eth0 1b.
# ifconfig eth0.1 10.1.216.57/18c.
# ping 10.1.192.1 --- This is gateway and worked4)
Run ovs command:a.   ovs-vsctl
add-br mybrb.   ovs-vsctl
add-port mybr eth0c.   ovs-vsctl
add-port mybr test tag=1 – set interface test type=internald.   ifconfig
test 10.1.216.57/18e.   ping
gateway will fail: 10.1.192.1f.  Change mtu on test port and eth0 to 1504, compared to default 1500. No good5)
Remove eth0 from OVS and do following, ping
still fail:a.
# ovs-vsctl del-port mybr eth0b.
# vconfig add eth0 1c.
# ifconfig eth0.1 10.1.216.57/18d.
# ping 10.1.192.1 will fail6)  Remove OVS,
ping will work:a.
# ovs-vsctl del-br mybrb.
# service openvswitch stopc.
# ping 10.1.192.1  --- it
works Here is the RHEL 6.5 Kernel version: 2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64I tried both OVS 1.11 and 2.3, exactly
same behavior.
BTW, I have no problem with RHEL6.5 on baremetal system at all to have OVS configured exactly like above.Help for thoughts?