[ovs-discuss] OVS Warning - vport

MCGRATH, GIL gm2391 at att.com
Tue Oct 14 18:29:38 UTC 2014

Alex, et.al.

So it turns out that if I unload the openvswitch kernel modules the warning goes away.
I would this on the web page that explains it (I think):

"The *_get_stats functions call get_stats_via_vport(), which tries to get

information about ports attached to the kernel datapath.  When a pure
userspace switch is used (eg, the OVS kernel module isn't loaded), ports
are not attached to a kernel datapath, so warnings get logged.  This
commit handles that case and doesn't log a warning.  However, if the
kernel datapath is loaded, ports attached to a userspace datapath will
still log a warning.

So without the kernel modules loaded I get the following error which is OK since I am using dpdk:

"2014-10-14T18:20:50.169Z|00011|dpif_netlink|ERR|Generic Netlink family 'ovs_datapath' does not exist. The Open vSwitch kernel module is probably not loaded."

— Gil

PS – I still can not get OVS/DPDK working on ubuntu 14.04 – I am at wits end. Anyone willing to help me?