[ovs-discuss] Rejecting a port when added via ovs-vsctl

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Oct 23 15:39:24 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 04:33:50PM +0100, John Hurley wrote:
> I am adding a new port (vxlan tunnel) to a bridge via ovs-vsctl.
> The port is rejected (as it should be) due to a bad value and an error
> message is returned from our implementation of ofproto-provider.
> I can trace this error code back to iface_create functions in bridge.c.
> It hits the iface_clear_db_record() function and implements it successfully.
> I expected this function to remove the port from OVSDB.

That's just not how configuration in OVS works.  When some part of the
configuration can't be implemented, ovs-vswitchd reports that, but it
doesn't change the configuration by removing anything.

> However, it still exists when I do a 'ovs-vsctl show'.
> The next time I add a legitimate port the system segfaults.

Then there's a bug, either in the base code that you are working on, or
in some code that you have added.  If you can figure out how to trigger
a segfault without code modifications, then I would be very interested
in a bug report.