[ovs-discuss] Error in running on NetBSD

YAMAMOTO Takashi yamamoto at valinux.co.jp
Wed Oct 29 00:32:04 UTC 2014

hi,

> Hi,
> I am trying to run OVS-2.3 on NetBSD 6.1.4 i386 but getting following
> problem,

thank you for trying the NetBSD port.

> when I am trying to add bridge br0 using
>  # ovs-vsctl add-br br0
> ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up 'br0'.
> and if i see
> clover1# install/bin/ovs-vsctl
> show
>
> 86064ec5-56ac-4442-ab2e-609c2a4a95dd
>     Bridge "br0"
>         Port "br0"
>             Interface "br0"
>                 type: internal
> but not able to br0 in ifconfig list

> 2014-10-27T02:48:23Z|00006|netdev_bsd|INFO|tap tap1 is created for bridge
> br0

this is the local port of br0.
you can configure it with ifconfig.

as Ben explained, NetBSD doesn't support interface renaming.
the kernel chose the names like "tap1", which might not be clear
for us human beings.  you can examine log to find the right
interface.  or probably it might be more convenient to compare
"ovs-ofctl dump-ports-desc br0" and "ifconfig -a" to look for
the interface with the mac address.

YAMAMOTO Takashi