[ovs-discuss] NetFlow/IPFIX documentation

Romain Lenglet romain.lenglet at oracle.com
Thu Oct 30 17:20:28 UTC 2014

On October 30, 2014 at 1:26:24 AM, Graham, Mark (mark.graham at anglia.ac.uk(mailto:mark.graham at anglia.ac.uk)) wrote:
> I am experiencing something similar. I have tested OVS NetFlow with a bunch of collectors, and experienced no problems at all.

That’s because NetFlow v5 is not extensible like IPFIX, so it’s logical for NetFlow collectors to only support a fixed set of elements.

> However I have not found a single collectors that supports IPFIX from OVS. Tcpdump and wireshark both show that IPFIX is on the wire. Several collectors will see the stream but omit the timestamp – which I guess is due to the IPFIX template being used?

Yes, very probably.
We welcome patches to extend or improve the templates to make them work with more collectors, or at least information about which elements are expected by popular collectors.

> Do you have any recommendations as to a collector please?

I’ve heard people have successfully used recent versions of nfdump to collect IPFIX from OVS:
http://nfdump.sourceforge.net/
--
Romain Lenglet