[ovs-discuss] pps throughput depending on the number of flows

MCGRATH, GIL gm2391 at att.com
Wed Sep 3 12:51:52 UTC 2014

I would be interested in what tools you are using for measurement

From: yimeng zhao <exaheart at gmail.com<mailto:exaheart at gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 8:08 AM
To: Alexander Shalimov <ashalimov at arccn.ru<mailto:ashalimov at arccn.ru>>
Cc: "discuss at openvswitch.org<mailto:discuss at openvswitch.org>" <discuss at openvswitch.org<mailto:discuss at openvswitch.org>>
Subject: Re: [ovs-discuss] pps throughput depending on the number of flows

Could you specify your configuration of measurement?

Hi,

We recently finished with throughput measurements of OVS. We saw that phy-to-phy throughput became higher with the increasing number of flows:
#1. 1 flow, phy-to-phy, 64 bytes packets => 1Mpps
#2. 32 flows (1 src ip, 32 dst ips), phy-to-phy, 64 bytes packets => 9Mpps

Could anyone explain why that happens: for 1 flow we have only 1Mpps, but for 32flows we have 9Mpps? It seems to be related to multicore and concurrency. But where is this code located (flow scheduling and etc)?

Thanks and Regards!

--
С уважением, |  Sincerely,
Александр.   |  Alexander.