[ovs-discuss] Status of DPDK in OVS

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Wed Sep 24 21:49:34 UTC 2014

On September 19, 2014 at 9:39:09 AM, MCGRATH, GIL (gm2391 at att.com) wrote:
> I am looking into the use of DPDK with OVS.
>
> I am a bit confused on the following:
>
> * What is the status of DPDK support in OVS?

It's still a work in progress, but it is functional in our "master" branch, and we're getting impressive performance with it.

> * What releases does this work or will work in?

It's not in a current release yet, but it will be included as part of OVS 2.4.

> * What is the status of the DPDK support githiub openvswitch/ovs?

It is working.  For NFV and vswitch applications, there are two bigs omissions at the moment.  First, there is no tunneling support, but that is being actively worked on.  Second, there's no vhost support, which prevents getting traffic to VMs.  We expect to get a contribution for that support in the next couple of weeks.  Both of these issues should be resolved before OVS 2.4 is released.

> * What is the relationship to the openvswitch in github.com/01org/dpdk-ovs?

The 01.org project pre-dates the mainstream OVS work.  The one that's being developed as part of the OVS mainstream will follow OVS development going forward, and expect it to perform better than the one from 01.org.  Intel has been contributing to our mainstream release as well.

--Justin