[ovs-discuss] [installation problem] Installation of OVS 2.3.1 from the tarball on Citrix Xen Server 6.5

GosenChien-IMAP astgosen at ccu.edu.tw
Wed Apr 15 03:14:18 UTC 2015

Dear Ben :
Please refer to the enclosed replies in red:

Best Regards,
             Gosen Chien
*************************************
CCU CS Project assistant
No.168, Sec. 1, University Rd., Min-Hsiung Township, Chia-yi County 62102, Taiwan
TEL: (05)272-0411#23134
E-mail:astgosen at ccu.edu.tw  <mailto:astgosen at ccu.edu.tw>
        astgosen at novatw.info  <mailto:astgosen at novatw.info>

Ben Pfaff 於 西元2015年04月15日 10:52 寫道:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 09:24:14PM +0800, Po-Ching Lin wrote:
>>           We recently tried to install OpenvSwitch 2.3.1 on Citrix Xen Server 6.5.
>> We followed the instructions in INSTALL.XenServer, and the reproduced steps
>> are as follows. The main problem is that the directory /lib/modules/xen/build is
>> missing. Please suggest the method to address this issue. Thanks a lot.
>>
>> [Reproduced steps]
>> 1. According to INSTALL.XenServer from the OVS tarball, put the tarball package to the "/usr/src/redhat/SOURCE/" folder and extract it;
>> 2. Enter the "openvswitch-2.3.1/xenserver/" folder;
>> 3. Add the kernel version in line 70 of the file "openvswitch.spec";
> Where did step 3 come from?  It isn't mentioned in INSTALL.XenServer.
Yes , it didn't mention in the INSTALL.XenServer.
However, we found during the building process, the program would tell us
that it could not found the kernel version so that we modified the file.
 >Requires: kernel-%{kernel_name} = *3.10.41-323.380416**<-- we change this
*

> The instructions say to use xenserver/openvswitch-xen.spec.  You mention
> a different file.
We actually use the same file but are forced to modified the file to
meet the requirement.
>> 4. Build the RPM package:
>>   > rpmbuild -bb openvswitch.spec

Is there any better way to avoid modifying the
xenserver/openvswitch-xen.spec ?
Any suggestion is welcome. Many thanks.