[ovs-discuss] OVS not sending the whole packet in PacketIn message

Bakshi Gulam gulam at gulam.in
Sun Apr 5 10:34:41 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I'm using OVS with OpenDaylight(ODL) controller. As soon as OVS registers
itself with ODL, ODL sends a OFPT_SET_CONFIG message with miss_send_len =
0xffff (OFPCML_NO_BUFFER). I assume the same has been successfully
configured in OVS. (Because for a subsequent OFPT_GET_CONFIG_REQUEST, I get
a OFPT_GET_CONFIG_RESPONSE with miss_send_len = 0xfff).

But PacketIn message generated due to "flow miss", contains only till TCP
header of the actual packet. Since miss_send_len is set as
OFPCML_NO_BUFFER, I'm expecting OVS to include the entire packet as payload
to PacketIn message. But for a HTTP packet, the PacketIn contains only till
TCP header.

Is this a known issue or a bug? Can somebody help me how to make OVS lift
entire packet to controller (in case of "flow-miss")?

--
// Bakshi Gulam        //