[ovs-discuss] (no subject)

Ben Schmidt crackhd2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 18:33:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 7:01 PM, Alex Wang <alexw at nicira.com> wrote:

>>> What is the 'ovs-vsctl show' output of Box-B?  For traffic sent from
>>> untagged VLAN port of Box-B, the vmbr0 of Box-A should not forward it
>>> to tagged VLAN ports.
>>>

>> I hope that we have a communication Problem here and I didn't miss
>> something really basic about OVS and wasted everyones time.
>> box-b doesn't use OVS yet. box-b uses normal linux bridging on a untagged
>> VLAN Port (VLAN ID 1115) on a switch. box-a connects to two LACP bond'ed
>> Ports on that some switch that have multiple tagged VLAN IDs, one of them
>> being 1115.
>>
>> ########
>> [root at box-b /root $ ovs-vsctl show
>> 872e809c-3121-4a4f-9fe8-8e436a7cf101
>>     ovs_version: "2.3.1"
>> ########
>>
>> Any Ideas where I could look at?
>>

> Thx for providing the info~
>
> Could you try applying the same ovs config on box-b and redo the test to
> see
> if linux bridge is the issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex Wang,

Hi Alex,

thanks for your help.
So I setup box-b in the same way as box-a on the switch as well as the
interfaces.
A ping between the boxes is fine, fast and reliable. unfortunately the
iperf is super slow in both directions now.

box-a > http://pastebin.ca/2969003
box-b > http://pastebin.ca/2969001

box-b - ovs-vsctl show > http://pastebin.ca/2968991
box-a - ovs-vsctl show > http://pastebin.ca/2968993

iperf box-a > box-b > http://pastebin.ca/2969005
iperf box-b > box-a > http://pastebin.ca/2969006

So in order to get somewhere I removed tagged vlans from the 2x2 LACP
ports, setup these 4 ports to a untagged VLAN but kept the LACP Config to
try giving the OVS bridge a IP directly.
No Problems at all, fast and reliable ping as well as almost 1GBit/s in
both directions.

Next Step was to also also use a tagged port along the untagged one. Same
Problem, ping is fine but iperf doesn't get me anywhere.

So it seems that I only run into these Problems when I use tagged VLANs. Is
there something special about tagged VLANs using OVS because I've used
dozens of these switches without any Problems.
Oh yeah, I already replaced the switch before even asking this mailinglist.

Thanks,
Ben