[ovs-discuss] having trouble while trying to install OVS-2.3.1 in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit

Sanghamitra De sanghamitra.de at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 10:29:31 UTC 2015

Hi,
To install OVS-2.3.1 in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit, I used the following
command sequence which went fine:

sudo mkdir /work
cd /work
wget http://openvswitch.org/releases/openvswitch-2.3.1.tar.gz
tar zxf openvswitch-2.3.1.tar.gz
cd openvswitch-2.3.1
./configure --with-linux=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
sudo make modules_install
sudo /sbin/modprobe openvswitch

/sbin/lsmod
cd /
sudo rm -rf /work

After that i made a disc image to use it on other nodes.

However, the following commands for configuring ovs throw error as per the
attached screenshot.

#ovsdb-tool create /usr/local/etc/openvswitch/conf.db
/users/peertest/openvswitch-2.3.1/vswitchd/vswitch.ovsschema
# ovsdb-server --remote=punix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock
\                 --remote=db:Open_vSwitch,Open_vSwitch,manager_options \
                 --pidfile --detach

What to do?

Do i move straight over to execute the following sequence of configuring
OVS without executing the above 2 commands which give error:

ovs-vsctl --no-wait init
sudo ovs-vswitchd --pidfile --detach --log-file
sudo ovs-vsctl add-br OVSbr1sudo ovs-vsctl add-br OVSbr2sudo ifconfig eth2
0sudo ifconfig eth3 0sudo ovs-vsctl add-port OVSbr1 eth2sudo ovs-vsctl
add-port OVSbr2 eth3sudo ovs-vsctl show

Can anyone kindly give me the command sequence required??? Please help.

PS: errors generated can be seen from the attached screenshot

Thanks & Regards
Sanghamitra