[ovs-discuss] How to monitor packets being dropped? Sent back a packet back to the port where it came from?

Clément Rault rault.clement at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 16:15:18 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am trying to develop inband mechanisms for fast reaction to failures
and I am experiencing a very high packet loss.

"--- 11.0.0.2 ping statistics ---
573 packets transmitted, 13 received, 97% packet loss, time 574650ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.259/2.291/5.683/1.140 ms"

which is probably due to the fact that some of my packets get in a
infinite (or not infinite but very long) loop (even though it
shouldn't happen) but I would like to
understand why and where they get dropped.

And therefore I would like to know if there is a way to check if a
switch (I am using mininet) is dropping packets?

Because I didn't put any rule to drop them and I am not decrementing
the ttl so it cannot from that...

What is the default behaviour/scenario for a OVS switch to decide to
drop a packet?

Could it be because sometimes I am sending the packet back to the port
where the packet came from?

Best,
Clément