[ovs-discuss] questions about the in-band mode

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 03:21:51 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:39 PM, 张晨 <zhangchen9211 at 126.com> wrote:

> what does this design mean? i just thought that the in-band mode support
> all the switches could connect to the dataplane-lied controller.

In-band control networks have to expand their level of control in steps,
building a tree as they go.  When s1 connects to the controller (which
should be possible given that it's directly connected), then it can send a
packet-in to the controller from the arp from s2 when it tries to connect.
(or the controller needs to proactively install the arp and IP paths for
itself).  If s2 gives up arp-ing for the controller before s1 establishes a
connection to the controller (handshake and all), then you have a problem.

In general OVS does not have this issue (given that the host OS in this
case is Linux, which is really controlling this behaviour), so I suspect
you have some other problem with your controller.

--
Nick