[ovs-discuss] Sflow packet samples in Openstack environment on OVS bridge

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at inmon.com
Wed Apr 22 14:30:41 UTC 2015

The sFlow implementation in OVS applies ingress sampling. To get full coverage into all traffic paths you need to enable sFlow on all bridges. For OpenStack, enabling sFlow on br-ex should give you visibility into the traffic destined to VMs.

You may also want to take a look at the Host sFlow agent (http://host-sflow.sourceforge.net/ <http://host-sflow.sourceforge.net/>). It can automatically manage the OVS sFlow settings and will also export hypervisor and VM CPU, memory, disk and network IO stats.