[ovs-discuss] Temporary loss of network connection during addition of a port to bridge

Mark Clarkson mark.clarkson at smorg.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 08:28:47 UTC 2015

Hi,
This has been asked before on this list but with no reply.

I have three ovs bridges on three physical hosts connected by ovs gre
tunnels. STP is enabled.

Linux containers are added to the bridge using 'ovs-vsctl add-port br0
vethXXX'.

When 'add-port' is used the bridge loses connectivity for 15-20 seconds
- I presume it enters a learning state and the bridge goes into blocking
mode.

This is terrible for the system as connectivity is lost to all machines
connected to the bridge, and linux containers are added and deleted
frequently - they are transient build nodes with a short lifespan.

Is there any way to stop from losing connection?

I have tried:
     ovs-vsctl set bridge br0 other_config:stp-forward-delay=4
, which seemed to have no effect.

Would rstp help me?

Thanks in advance
Mark.