[ovs-discuss] Temporary loss of network connection during addition of a port to bridge

Mark Clarkson mark.clarkson at smorg.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 00:01:07 UTC 2015

On 23/04/15 19:18, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> I don't think that the behavior you describe is intentional.  It sounds
> like a bug or an unexpected interaction between features.  I think
> you'll have to investigate and figure out why it's happening, and then
> once we understand that it can be fixed.
This is also how linux bridge works though, so maybe it is
intentional(?). Although the linux bridge allows a forwarding delay of
zero for cases where there's only one bridge.

Doing:

   # ovs-vsctl set bridge br0 other_config:stp-forward-delay=4
   # ovs-vsctl set bridge br0 other_config:stp-max-age=6

, reduces from 15s to 4s delay, but if an existing connection sends data
during the 'down' time then it receives an RST so the application closes.

I did try to use rstp but openvswitch  replied with an error:

   # ovs-vsctl set bridge br0 rstp_enable=true
   ovs-vsctl: Bridge does not contain a column whose name matches
"rstp_enable"

rstp_enable is referenced in a man page pdf,
http://openvswitch.org/ovs-vswitchd.conf.db.5.pdf, so I checked
http://openvswitch.org/releases/NEWS-2.3.1 but rstp isn't mentioned.

Any idea when rstp will be available?

I have worked around the problem using the standard linux bridge and
gretap for now, which works surprisingly well, but is there any other
way to connect ovs bridges (3+ hosts) without the above problems? I
can't help but think that I'm doing something wrong!