[ovs-discuss] How does OpenFlow protocol action become flow table entry?

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon Apr 27 20:18:38 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 03:01:16PM -0500, David Evans wrote:
> I have been trolling through the source looking for  how OXM/NXM actions end
> up as functioning entries in flow tables.
> I understand that ofp-actions.c and the ofp_raw_action_type enumeration is
> at the centre of it all.
> I get how the incoming OpenFlow command strings are processed  by
> encode/decode fns but that?s about it?
> But I don?t understand the path of adding these actions
>
> I want to use the ActionExperimenter from RYU to drive new arbitrary packet
> modifiers via the experimenter extension to open flow.
> I know I could use ovs-ofctl and actions.c  and add new instructions that
> way, but I want to stick to OpenFlow so I can drive with other controllers
> like Ryu.

Did you read the FAQ?

### Q: How do I add support for a new OpenFlow action?

A: Add your new action to "enum ofp_raw_action_type" in
   lib/ofp-actions.c, following the existing pattern.  Then recompile
   and fix all of the new warnings, implementing new functionality for
   the new action as needed.  (If you configure with --enable-Werror,
   as described in [INSTALL.md], then it is impossible to miss any
   warnings.)

   If you need to add an OpenFlow vendor extension action for a vendor
   that doesn't yet have any extension actions, then you will also
   need to edit build-aux/extract-ofp-actions.